GalataPerform is active since 2003, in a second floor apartment, in the historical district of Galata.
It has been the production space and main stage of Ve Diğer Şeyler Theatre Company (VEDST) and has been open to artists and audiences of different disciplines. Recently its main axe is concentrated on providing a space for new writing in contemporary theatre and performance while keeping its concentration on providing an independent alternative space. Various projects includes Visibility Projects 1-8 and New Text New Theatre Project.
GalataPerform has been under a new conceptualization process since 2012. The venue and theatre group founded by Yeşim Özsoy will function under one name and present its own plays and projects and additionally provide a new ground for the guest theater groups as a production and publishing house.
- “<play alla turca>” (2000-2001), (New York & Istanbul)
- “Year 2084” (2002) (New York & Istanbul)
- “House a Cacophonic Play” (2003), (Istanbul & Berlin)
- “Limping Tales from Istanbul” (2004), (Istanbul & Cologne)
- “Playback” (2006), (Istanbul & Antwerp)
- “Last World” (2006-2007),
- “Notary” (2008),
- “Third Universe” (2009) ,
- “Turkey-Germany: 0:0” (2010)
- “Century’s Love” (2010-2011),
- “It was a Calm and Chilly Morning the Day I started My Jouney” (2012)
- “Stain” (Ahmet Sami Özbudak) (2013),
- “Language” (Şenay Tanrıvermiş)(2014)
- “Old Child” (Yeşim Özsoy) (2016)
- “Balat Museun of Monologues” (8 new playwriters) (2017)
- “When in Rome” (Öznur Yalgın) (2017)
- ”Tato/Our Father” (Artur Palyga) (2017)
- ”House of Hundred” (Yeşim Özsoy)(2018)
- NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL FRINGE FESTİVAL (2000 New York City, USA)
- NEW PLAYS FROM EUROPE THEATRE BIENALE (2004 Wiesbaden, Germany)
- ŞİMDİ NOW FESTİVAL (2004 – Hebbel Theatre, Berlin, Germany)
- TURKISH – GERMAN THEATRE FESTIVAL (2005 – Cologne, Germany), • 0090 KUNSTEN THEATRE FESTIVAL (2006 – Antwerp, Belgium)
- BONN BIENALE (Bonn, Germany, 2007)
- DUISBURG AKZENTE ART FESTIVAL (Duisburg, Germany 2009)
- ISTANBUL THEATRE FESTIVAL (2004, 2006, 2008, 2012 & 2014 Istanbul, Turkey)
- WIESBADEN STATE THEATRE (2009, Wiesbaden, Germany)
- LUOGHI COMUNI FESTIVAL (2010, Bergamo, Italy)
- NEW PLAYS FROM EUROPE THEATRE BIENALE (2014 Wiesbaden, Germany)
- THEATRE AN DER RUHR (2014, Mülheim, Germany)
- DORTMUND CITY THEATRE (2014, Dortmund, Germany)
- War or Peace: Crossroads of History Festival (2018, Berlin, Germany)
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival(2019, Edinburgh, Scotland)
House Of Hundred
House of Hundred is a take on the transition from the Ottoman period to the Republican era through the story of an old mansion and its demolition. Reality and fiction are intertwined in this semi-autobiographical play where its writer, actress and creator Yeşim Özsoy tells her story through that of her maternal grandmother.
The play focus on four kids lives who lost their life because of war, migration, terrorism and violence on 2014-2015. In the play these children from real life are imagined in a utopic world where they actually live a life.
Stain is a site specific project of GalataPerform. The play has five nominations on the most prestigious theatre awards in Turkey and won “Best Achievement in Writing” award.
When In Rome
A single woman moves into a family apartment building. One day her boyfriend comes over. What follows is a familiar story about personal space, hypocrisy and suppressed sexuality.
The play that looks through the history of Turkey through “love stories” with a special video and sound design. The play also won the “Best Actress in a Leading Role” award.
Love and Facism
Four women writers from different countries; Gianina Carbunariu, Helena Tornero, Linda McLean and Yeşim Özsoy worked on “love” and “fascism” subjects and created this play which premered at the Istanbul International Theatre Festival.
Play contains some motives of Kafka’s Letters to father as far as the portrait of the father as an authority of violence.
Staged in 2014, the play was written by Şenay Tanrıvermiş, a graduate of New Text New Theatre workshop program of GalataPerform.
The play was performed suspended in the air for 35 minutes.